>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

When and how did I start

How to start?

In the beginning I've been breeding Colour Canary's and Five fancys but i did not enjoy it. I joined a association and visited birdshows where I met the Lizard. This is about 18 years ago. I wanted to breed the Lizards I saw and I was impressed with the beautiful back pattern. I bought a few lizards and bred but the results were not that good.
The next year me and a few staturebreeders went to the grand national in birmingham (the biggest show in England) and I bought better Lizards. Lizard-breeder Scott sold me 5 of his couples and I started breeding. This time with good results becouse in the following year I won the world championship for the first time. I went bach to Birmingham and bought another 4 of Scott his couples. The only thing I had to do was refine the back patterns because in England they're a bit unworked.

Colours

About the Lizard:
The Lizard appears in 4 colours
Gold Lizard (bright yellow)
Silver Lizard (yellow, grey/silver)
Blue Lizard (white foundation)
Red Lizard (red foundation)

The Caps

You can subdivide the caps into:
* Clear cap
* Broken cap
* Non cap

The patterns

Main to the Lizard are the back patterns (spangle), these must be in a line from the head to the tail run and of the Lizard own feather mould are interrupted. This way the patterns of the bird are similar to the patterns of a lizard. That’s how the bird got his name.
From the back patterns (spangle) we go to the patterns on the sides of the bird, these must be well visible scaled and also well interrupted.
That brings us to another significant pattern, the chest pattern (rowing). You often see Lizards witch little rowing, most of them are male. Although, I’ve got male Lizards with good rowing.

The most beautiful bird

The Silver puppets have the best rowing because the grey/silver foundation brings up the pigment.

Dark legs and beaks

The legs and the beak must be as dark as possible. You can achieve this by feeding them brides vial ones or twice a week. If possible keep the birds outside because the sun removes the brow pigment that Lizards can show.

The Cap

A Lizard cap must be oval shaped. The cap must not continue in the neck too far. Above the eye the eye line must be visible. In case of a broken cap the interrupted part must be nicely scaled. The non cap birds have to have a scale pattern from the beak to the spangle.

Showbirds

This part is about the Lizard as a showbird. I think most breeders agree if I say that the Lizard is one of the most difficult birds to display because when a young Lizard loses his tail or a wing pen it will return with a white border. That’s why you should select the birds in an early stadium and not put to many birds in one cage.
You should select the showbirds as soon al possible and make sure that the birds haven’t got white toenails and the feathers are supposed to be smooth and shiny. When the bird has bad quality feathers and a light scale pattern you should remove the birds.
One often sees Lizards with blunt back patterns and/or with a bow in the neck. These birds must also be removed because the primary color must be bright and well spread. The puppets (females) make the best showbirds because they have better chest patterns. One should keep the birds calm by feeding them blue moonseed. My showbirds often switch cages.

Breeding

There are breeders that breed half intensive x half intensive but I’d rather discourage that. You will not get showbirds breeding like this. Be aware that a full cap couple breed youngsters who’s caps run down in the neck. One can breed full cap x broken cap or broken cap x non cap or broken x broken cap because they have no inheritances. I’ve bred non cap x non cap and the youngsters were full cap birds.

How many Lizards?

In general Lizards make good breeding birds. Each year I breed 220 Lizards. Most of the times I start directly after the world championship in January and I’m finished in June.

Which feed?

I give my birds mixed seeds including 17 kilo’s white seed. For the day I give them egg food. Which I moisture. Birds in breed get enough egg foot every day mixed with oats and black seeds. I make sure the birds get enough minerals and grit.

Vaccinate

I vaccinate my birds every year.

Hobby

This way I hope that I have commented a bit of my beautiful hobby and I hope you want to learn more about this beautiful hobby.


No comments:

Post a Comment